Sunday, October 12, 2008

NASCAR Racing At It's Best

I am a sports fan. I like all sports and generally keep up with what is going on. I have always followed NASCAR at arms length. I know the drivers, the CUP Points, and where they are racing for the week.

A good friend of mine invited me to the Bank of America 500 at Lowe's Motor Speedway on Saturday night. I was very excited about attending my first race. I had always heard about all the different kinds of fans there are and how crazy they are for their favorite drivers. Let me say that race fans are the most patriotic fans there are. They love their country just as much as they love their drivers.

What I didn't expect was how loud, fast and furious the race really is. I was totally blown away.
I was very surprised by a few things. The noise these cars give off as they pass in a pack is deafening. It was so much louder than I ever could have imagined. The smell of the rubber is very pungent. I will remember that for a long time. The track is narrower than it looks on TV and the banks are really on a steep slide.

I watched the first 50 laps from the front row on the back stretch. I could tell a distinct increase in temperature after the race stated. My respect for the drivers increased also. This was a night race and was cooler than most races. I could not imagine just how hot it gets in one of those cars during a race in the middle of the summer.

My experience was awesome! I am a bigger fan today than I was yesterday. I can't wait until my next race.

No comments: